Your dentist, Dr. Jared Palmer of Vista Dental in Medicine Hat, AB, may recommend a tooth extraction for a variety of reasons, including excessive tooth decay, infection, and overcrowding. While we all wish to keep our teeth for a lifetime, sometimes tooth extractions are required to optimize our dental and oral-systemic health. Read on to learn some of the most common scenarios in which this procedure becomes necessary.
Common Reasons for Tooth Extraction
- Problematic Baby teeth: If a baby tooth doesn't erupt normally or is out of sequence, removing the tooth may prevent future orthodontic treatment.
- Impacted wisdom teeth: The removal of wisdom teeth at an early age can prevent damage to their healthy surroundings and reduce the risk of infection.
- Orthodontic treatment: When the mouth is overcrowded, teeth are extracted to make room for oral appliances.
- Trauma or disease: When it comes to saving teeth, dental extraction will restore them to their natural function
Types of Tooth Extractions Performed
There are two types of dental extractions performed at our Medicine Hat, AB, office, and during an appointment with Dr. Palmer, we can determine which one is right for you:
- Simple: This method is performed when the tooth is easily accessible, and it entails using local anesthesia.
- Surgical: This method is usually necessary when the tooth is not easily accessible. During this process, the patient is sedated using general anesthesia.
Here at Vista Dental in Medicine Hat, AB, Dr. Jared Palmer is the one to trust with your tooth extraction needs. He takes his time to carefully discuss the process with you, and in the cases where patients have dental anxiety, Dr. Palmer and his team utilize different types of sedation dentistry. These extra steps ensure that you are comfortable every step of the way.
Give Us a Call
Don't wait another day to treat your toothache. If you experience agonizing discomfort, schedule a consultation with Dr. Jared Palmer to discuss surgery, treatment options, questions, or concerns. To schedule an appointment at Vista Dental in Medicine Hat, AB, CA, visit our website or call (403) 548-7077.